Samhain - 31 October
- "To see a World in a drain of sand,
- And a Heaven in a wild flower,
- Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
- and Eternity in an hour" - William Blake
A. Purification of Self - anoint with oil
B. Purification of Space - sweep area with
- sage and
C. Open Circle: Let us open this circle. It is time to turn the wheel. It is now the seventh phase of the eight fold solar cycle, the cross-quarter of Scorpio, which is called Samhain.
- The Sun is now in Scorpio, the water sign of feeling and remembering, of passion and transformation.
- Scorpio is ruled by Pluto, our dark lord of the Underworld.
D. The Circle is cast. (Walk around the circle using a prayer feather as an athame)
All: We conjure this a circle power, energy, truth, and vision . We conjure our sacred space between the visible and invisible plains.
- Guardians of the East, power of air, we invite you to join our circle.
- Guardians of the South, power of fire, we invite you to join our circle.
- Guardians of the West, power of Water, we invite you to join our circle.
- Guardians of the North, power of Earth, we invite you to join our circle.
- Father Sky and Mother Earth, we invite you to join our circle.
All: We invoke the white light to protect our circle. Those of the spirit world, we invite you to join our circle. We are now between two worlds, beyond the bounds of time, where night and day, birth and death, joy and sorrow, and all spirits meet as one."
E. Statement of Purpose. Place candle in center of the circle, saying:
All: The fire is lit, the ritual is begun, in love and peace.... O Great Spirit, you who created all that is, help us create a ritual to honor those in the spirit world. Help us create an atmosphere where they feel safe to join us and close enough to us to be tangible. We do rite to honor those spirits, your servants and saints, our loved ones, friends, pets and All who have gone before us. We do rite to honor our spirit guests and your great forces of change and transition.
F. The Ritual begins. This is the Sabbat called Samhain
- Samhain marks the end of Summer and honors the Dead
- Symbolism: The end of Summer; the Dead are honored.
- The rite is performed by -
- Scrying in smoke, candle flame, fire or mirror;
- Calling departed ones;
- Offering food to our beloved dead
- Samhain symbols are the color red or black, pomegranates, pumpkins and apples
- Let us welcome our spirit guests by setting a place with food and drink in their honor. (Set plate with food and drink).
G. Ritual Instructions: The veil between this world and the world of spirits is now drawn aside. We can now express our feelings and concerns or simply send love to those who have gone before. If we need to heal a relationship or let-go of someone who has transitioned, this is the time. We will each take a turn, but no more than 3 minutes to -
- Symbolize a transitioned person, by selecting a feather and placing it in the center of the circle.
- Saying their name, honor them with a story or memory.
- Complete any unfinished business with them
- Give thanks to their life and your relationship
- Toast them and release them to move on to where they need to be.
H. Celebration - Let us now honor our spirit friends by inviting them to sing and dance with us. (Sing and Dance)
I. Thanking the Great Spirit
- Hail Great Spirit of All!
- May your fields increase and flourish.
- Your forests grow and spread,
- And you waters run pure and free.
- Bring forth that which is good and sustaining for every living thing.
- Oh Great Spirit, God, Goddess, All-that-there-is, we thank you for your presence,
- For your circle, for light and love, for night and change.
- We ask for your blessing for All as you depart.
- Hail and farewell! Blessed be!
J. Releasing the Circle:
- Ancient Ones of the West, South, East, and North, Father Sky and Mother Earth, hail and farewell.
- All spirits, saints and servants, friends, relatives, and loved ones, hail and farewell.
- We thank All for their presence here. Now go in love and peace.
K. Closing: ALL
Samhain is also known as Halloween and All Saints/Souls Day
- By the air that is Her breath,
- By the fire of her bright spirit,
- By the waters of her womb,
- By the earth that is her body,
- Our circle is open, yet unbroken.
- May the peace, love, and joy of the Goddess be ever in our hearts.
- Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again.