Religious Science - New Thought Teachings
Divinity: As a Divine being, you are the master of your destiny. This is the great message Religious Science brings to people of all faiths. It is a fresh concept of religion as a life philosophy and a science. As a philosophy, Religious Science presents a practical, down-to-earth way of thinking about the nature of the Universe and our relationship to it. As a religion, it presents a philosophy that is both mentally stimulating and emotionally satisfying. As a science, it presents specific and definite ideas which you can demonstrate for yourself and directly experience the benefits in your life.
Spiritual Principles: There is a power for good in the Universe greater than you are—and you can use it! Religious Science is a system of mental and spiritual principles, combined with a technique for the application of these principles. It is designed to live and expand consciousness in ways that lead to an even higher order of livingness. It emphasizes the spiritual connection of all, thus promoting peace and greater harmony at all levels of experience. The consistent application of Religious Science results in health, satisfying relationships, enhanced creativity, and prosperity.
Thoughts: Change your thinking and change your life! Religious Science is not a closed system of thought. It grows continually as humankind evolves, drawing on the frontiers of knowledge as well as the wisdom of the ages. We change our behavior and life by replacing "Old Thoughts" with "New Thoughts".
2. What is Affirmative Prayer?
Affirmative prayer, or spiritual mind treatment, is a simple process, really. It requires of us the persistence to think in ways that will naturally, lawfully, create what we desire. It's praying the way Jesus of Nazareth prayed; it's praying as the Buddha prayed. It's using the spiritual laws of this Universe to unfold in our lives the experience we desire. Once you know more about these Universal laws, it's simple to practice using them. And they can be summed up like this: It is done unto you as you believe.
Affirmative prayer, then, is about shifting our belief. The steps below have long been recognized as parts of the recipe for a change in consciousness. Each step is an ingredient for change, but keep in mind that the master chef always feels free to experiment! The best way to pray is the way that helps you feel connected with Spirit.
3. What are the Basic Steps to Affirmative Prayer? While there are steps to follow, or ingredients to include in any affirmative prayer, also known as spiritual mind treatment, they don't have to come in any particular order; there's no need for them to follow a rigid pattern. The point is to build a consciousness that is whole, that automatically creates the experience you're desiring. This is all about engaging your mind, heart, and being with the creative power of the universe. How you get there is not all that important. This method does work, but it's only the means to the end. Religious Science isn't about a method; it's about a more profound connection with Spirit.
- Know what do you want. This is the first thing to decide. In order for the Universal Intelligence to know how to flow through you, it has to know what you want. It cannot know until you do!
- Resolve things into thought (Word). Think about your desire. What are the qualities of what you desire? In other words, if you had it, how would you feel? How would you be? Yes, you may want the thing, but for the Law to work for you most effectively, you need to know what's behind the thing. For example, if you wanted a new car, why? Reliable transportation may translate into a feeling of being safe, secure, and supported. Greater luxury might resolve into an experience of Life's true nature [because the real nature of life is abundant wealth!]. Just because you need your own transportation may translate into freedom of movement, and so on.
Recognition: remind yourself of the nature of life/god/spirit. This is the main ingredient in affirmative prayer: recognition. You must know what the nature of God is before going further. If, for example, you used to believe that God was an angry, vengeful God, now is the time to remind yourself of the greater truth. Remind yourself of the lawful and loving nature of God.
- Unification: remind yourself that you come from life/spirit/god. If God exists and is everything good and wonderful, but you're on the outside looking in, why even bother to pray? Remind yourself that God is the source and the creator of everything. Including you. including your desire. This is another crucial ingredient in affirmative prayer.
Realization: know that life already is the thing or experience you want. If you can desire it, imagine it, picture it, it must exist in Mind. Otherwise, where did you get the idea? Remember, the first premise of Religious Science is that there exists a fundamental Unity. There's no place other than Mind to get your idea. For a truly effective prayer treatment, you want to keep contemplating spirit's nature as your own; when you have an inner feeling of "Yes!", that's when the realization arrives. When you open your eyes, your desire may not be sitting on the floor in front of you, but don't be fooled...Mind is already at work unfolding it.
- Eliminate Doubts and Limiting Thoughts: If doubts arise, don't just turn away. Face them! Speak the truth about what you are fearing will or will not happen...for example, if you feel that you could never afford a new car, you might say, "Infinite Mind has given me this desire and along with it everything I need to let the power of law flow through me, manifesting my desire in perfection and joy. God IS supply; God IS wealth, so there is nothing to fear...because God is right where I am".
- Have Total Faith/Conviction: Have absolute faith and conviction with your from both your mind and heart, with all your being, that is it done as you ask.
- Give Thanks; Show Gratitude: know that what you desire is yours. It is important to give thanks, because it acknowledges already having received the thing you desire. This is the "already having received" attitude that adds fuel to the fire of your affirmative prayer treatment. This is why you have to know how you would feel if you had what you want right now.
Release: Say: "And so it is!" Letting go is a crucial step. When you're done, your mind should be at peace, clear, unafraid, and watchful for signs of your desire showing up without becoming obsessive about it! Let the Law work through you and make your desire a physical reality!
4. What Is a Practitioner? A professional practitioner is a qualified licensed individual who is committed to maintaining a high spiritual consciousness; to doing spiritual mind treatment (affirmative prayer) for those who request it, through the church's Ministry of Prayer or as an individual client; and to being an active spiritual presence in their church and community.
To become a licensed practitioner, one must complete a required course of study, pass a comprehensive written exam and be approved by an oral panel consisting of ministers and experienced practitioners. The practitioner's license is renewed every two years after meeting service requirements, continuing education requirements and with the recommendation of the minister.
Practitioners do workshops, classes, projects, help with church services in various ways for their specific church. The practitioner not only serves at the local church level but also at the United Church level by participating in the Ministry of Prayer, serving on Standing Advisory Committee of Practitioner Policy, serving as chaplains for International Board of Trustees, serving on the International Board of Trustees, doing workshops at the yearly area and the yearly convention.
Practitioners have individual practices for spiritual counseling. There is a fee for their professional services, which is established at the time the appointment is made. Personal financial arrangements are flexible and need not be a deterrent to receiving services.
5. Spiritual Knowledge: Why take classes? Science Of Mind classes are encouraged to obtain spiritual knowledge. Smart people learn quickly from others; they have teachers; they also learn from the mistakes of others. Average people learn from their mistakes, but the process is drawn out. Below average people do not learn from mistakes; instead, they keep making them repeatedly.
Emersion Theology Institute of the Affiliated New Thought Network present a broad program in Science of Mind teaching. One Spirit Ministries is affiliated with and a designated teaching center for the Emerson Theology Institute. The basic principles we study are profound, but not necessarily easy to embody and practice in our daily lives. Sunday morning is where we hear about our potential, but the classroom is where we experience the practical application of principle. The process of regular Science of Mind class attendance is how we begin to embody a true change in our consciousness.
No matter who you are or what the current issues on your path, in classes you will find a new perspective—in a timeless message that is very relevant for today. Each class is taught in a fun and fast-paced format. The support of shared insights and the opportunity to ask questions in a classroom setting offer a learning environment not easily duplicated with solitary study. The discipline of regular attendance and the weekly readings create a framework for asking the big questions about life and our place in it.
What happens in class? Through lectures, discussions, and workshops led by a qualified instructor, the student learns how to personalize the same metaphysical principles, which the great masters throughout history have used to experience greater wholeness! Each class takes on energy of its own which stimulates each individual mind.
What will you learn?
You will learn about your connectedness to an infinite power for good, which you can use.
You will learn how to apply Universal Principles in your daily life and get results.
You will learn the art of positive prayer called Spiritual Mind Treatment.
You will learn the value of meditation and daily spiritual disciplines and commitment.
You will learn that you have found new friends and relationships in your classmates who think as you do.
You will learn you really can create a new life by changing your thinking and beliefs.
Is there tuition for classes? Yes. Taking a Science of Mind class requires a commitment of both time and money. The truth is, little can be achieved without commitment. It creates an expectancy of change, which is very valuable. Tuition is set by each teaching center in addition to the basic enrollment in Emerson and is standard for all churches. See your minister if you are interested in enrolling.
What is the value of taking "accredited" classes? A certificate of completion is issued at the conclusion of all classes when the attendance and other requirements have been met. After completing a specific number of classes, a student may be eligible to be licensed as a Religious Science - New Thought Practitioner, and with further class work, as a Minister of Religious Science.